Saturday, October 03, 2009

The first project

For me, the first project to start in the house was the room I couldn't stand the most...the powder room (or downstairs bathroom) under the stairs. Luckily for me it was the smallest room in the house too! Great!
The walls are lined with very narrow bead board which I love, but not when it's the plain pine colour that ours was. It made me feel like every-time I went in there I was in Canada sitting in a log cabin!!?
So my husband- Mr Home Love and I got down to business sanding and preparing the wooden walls to be painted. We bought a really good quality,expensive paint from Colour Trend in my favourite 'colour' Brilliant White, haha. I really am a believer that white paint is a pot of magic- it transforms even the most dated rooms and furniture.
We coated nearly everything in the wc with paint as the entire room was wood, right down to the toilet seat, which we changed from a very dirty pine seat to a bright white, pink and aqua stripe for a bit of fun!
Here are the photos below, however keep in mind that the room is so poky that the pictures were taken in very 'close' focus!
Mr Home Love applying the first coat of paint to the gorgeous pine walls.

A photo of the toilet, which I'm sure your delighted to see! I had to flip the lid up whilst painting because I had already made Mr Home Love put on the new loo seat and didn't want paint splattering onto the new lid.

The small hand basin.

This is the 'after' photo. As you can see the new toilet seat is fun right? Although the floor tiles aren't amazing, they aren't offensive. The powder room now feels 100% larger and brighter than it did before it got whitewashed. Now it feels more like a little beach hut somewhere in the Caribbean, complete with the cutest, authentic little painting of a beautiful beach. See it there on the shelf? It was left here by the previous home owner and as it is an original I just couldn't resist in keeping it.
I will add more after photos in my next post when I show you a little project I am working on for in here.
Hope you think it's an improvement...we do!
Jane xx




2 comments:

  1. fabulous blog! can't wait to see the progress of your home adventures , how exciting xxx Aims, brucey, dad and mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr and Mrs home love,....I have finally arrived.
    Catch me at HOUSE GRUB.lol...Mama Donnelly

    ReplyDelete